As the new coronavirus Variant IHU found it seems like this pandemic is not going to over soon. The study is still going on Omicron variant and this new B.1.640.2 variant raised the concern across the globe.
What is Covid19 IHU Variant?
A new variant of coronavirus – named IHU raised the tension across the globe when many countries are currently experiencing a spike in COVID-19 cases. This new Covid-19 variant IHU has been identified by researchers in France. The study said that the IHU variant contains 46 mutations, which makes it even more resistant to vaccines.
History of IHU Variant:
Covid19’s IHU, the B.1.640.2 variant was discovered in France on December 10. Till now at least 12 cases were found to be infected from the IHU variant. The people infected from IHU have a travel history to African country Cameroon.
The B.1.640.2 or IHU variant has not been identified in other countries so far. World Health Organization (WHO) has not labeled it a variant under investigation.
IHU Vs Omicron Variant:
Omicron is still new and many researchers are going on to understand its behavior and capacity to infect. Scientists identified 32 mutations in Omicron while till now 46 mutations of IHU have been identified. This means it could be harmful than the Omicron variant but we still don’t know much about any of these.
Omicron is believed to be more immune to existing vaccines. However, the scientists said that it is too early to guess the effect of the vaccine on Omicron as far as infection and protection are concerned.
Epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding posted a long Twitter thread in which he said that new variants keep emerging but it does not necessarily mean they will be more dangerous.
Since then, Omicron a variant of concern has spread to over 100 countries but IHU is limited to Southern France only.
Things to Know About IHU variant so far:
• The variant was first detected in France at the IHU Mediterranee Infection in Marseille.
• The cases of IHU have travel history to Cameroon, an African country. Omicron was also discovered in the southern part of Africa.
• Till now, 12 cases of the new IHU variant were found in December near Marseilles in France. As they are linked to Cameroon, the research began after the discovery of the cluster.
• A study said that the mutations have caused 14 amino acid substitutions and 9 amino acid deletions – which are located in the spike protein. Till now 46 mutations detected in the IHU variant.
• The B.1.640.2 or IHU has not been spotted in other countries or labelled a variant under investigation by the World Health Organization (WHO).