Doesn’t matter how fluently we speak English but it can not match that desi feeling that we get while speaking Hindi Language. Hindi is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and the official language of India. Though in the south part of India people criticizes Hindi for being the Official Language of the country still 80% of the people can speak or understand the language.
Being one of the most popular languages there are some lesser known facts about Hindi. Here we pen down some interesting facts about Hindi, the official language of India. You speak it, you love it, but do you ‘know’ it? Check out the facts:
1. In India, Hindi is the mother language of 18 Crore people and Approx 30 crore people prefer it as their second language.
2. Hindi is an Indo-European language that standardized form of Hindustani, along with Urdu.
3. Hindi is spoken by 366 million people across the world. Widely spoken in India, Mauritius, Fiji, Guyana, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago and Nepal.
4. Popular English Words like Yoga, Thug and Cheetah are taken from Hindi Language. Hindi Word ‘Swadeshi’ included in the Oxford Dictionary.
5. Each letter of the Hindi alphabet has its own independent and distinct sound.
6. There are about 176 universities worldwide where Hindi is taught. 45 of them are American Universities. Apart from this, more than 25 journals and magazines are released in Hindi every day.
7. Former American President George W. Bush sanctioned a $114 million budget for Hindi Education.
8. Hindi is included in the powerful languages of the world. According to the Power Language Index prepared by the World Economic Forum, by the year 2050 Hindi will be one of the powerful languages of the world.
9. India’s Hindi-speaking regions celebrate Hindi Day annually on 14th September.
10. In 1918, Mahatma Gandhi had asked to make Hindi language a national language at the Hindi Sahitya Sammelan. Gandhiji also called Hindi as the language of the people.